For press inquiries, contact:
Public Information Officer for Oklahoma Tourism & Recreation Department and Oklahoma Department of Commerce
Whether you need an interview, photographs, story ideas, media hosting or the scoop on statewide events and attractions, we're here to help.
Poncho Sanchez, Larry Coryell Lead World-Class Jazz in June Line Up
By Tourism Industry Partner
NORMAN – Jazz legends Poncho Sanchez and Larry Coryell head a world-class lineup of Latin jazz, big band jazz, blues, alternative country, swing, bebop, salsa, contemporary American music and more for the 28th annual Jazz in June music festival. The free, three-day event is scheduled for June 23-25.
Guitarist Coryell, called “a true pioneer of rock-jazz fusion” by The New York Times, has recorded more than 75 albums as a bandleader, soloist and featured accompanist. He will perform from 9:15 to 10:45 p.m. Friday, June 24 during “Jazz Under the Stars” at Brookhaven Village, 3700 W. Robinson St.
Sanchez is a Grammy-winning percussionist famed for his unique sound that blends Latin jazz, soul, swing, bebop, salsa and other musical styles. His performance is scheduled for 9 – 10:45 p.m. Saturday, June 25 during “Jazz in the Park” at Andrews Park, 201 W. Daws St.
Other artists slated to perform are:
· Margo Valiante, a blues and alternative country singer/songwriter who has been compared to Bonnie Raitt and Patty Griffin, 7-8:30 p.m. Thursday, June 23
· Murali Coryell, a rising force in contemporary American music and son of Larry Coryell 9-10:45 p.m. Thursday, June 23
· 145th Army Big Band, which will offer some big band jazz standards that date back to WWII, along with more contemporary fare, 7:15 – 8:45 p.m. Friday, June 24
· Norman North High School Jazz Choir, led by director Tony Gonzalez, which has performed at Jazz in June for more than a decade, 6-6:45 p.m. Saturday, June 25
· Jeremy Thomas Quartet, which made its debut in 2004 at the University of Central Oklahoma Jazz Lab in Edmond as the opening act for jazz pianist Kenny Warner, 7:10 – 8:35 p.m., Saturday, June 25
Jazz in June was founded by the Norman Arts and Humanities Council and the Cimarron Circuit Opera Company in 1984 to bring high-quality blues and jazz acts to Norman. The festival has since developed into a much-anticipated annual event attended by some 50,000 people.
Jazz in June is supported, in major part, by the following by grants and donations from (Festival Underwriters) Oklahoma Arts Council/Organizational Support Grant Program with the assistance of the National Endowment for the Arts, (Festival Funders) Brookhaven Village, Bob Moore Cadillac Saab and Bob Moore Porsche Audi, The Friends of Jazz in June, Republic Bank & Trust, (Major Funders) Norman Arts Council Hotel Tax Grant Program, Kirkpatrick Family Fund, Kirkpatrick Foundation, (Day Funders) Embassy Suites of Norman, Sooner Legends Inn & Suites, Target Stores, Oklahoma City Community Foundation, Café Plaid, Shevaun Williams & Associates, E. Frank Gilson, Glen Brown, Jaci McAfee Williams, (Additional Funders) Norman Chamber of Commerce, Liquecolor, Transcript Press, Coach’s Brew House, Performing Arts Studio, Nancy McClellan, Abbey Road Catering, Brockhaus Flowers & Gifts, (Legacy Founders/Donors) Bob and Judy Felder, Ron Arvine of Arvine Pipe & Supply Company, Greg Heiple and Joan Goth.
For more information about the festival and performing artists, visit www.jazzinjune.org.